Friday, July 3, 2009

I am a rock

When I was young, one of my favorite songs was “I am a rock” by Simon and Garfunkle. It assisted me in building a wall around myself for protection from the harshness of my life. It had me see myself as protected, surrounded by an impenetrable fortress, safe from harm. As I progressed through my life it shielded me from danger. But unknown by me, it also shielded me from positive things that I encountered.

A wall cannot discern between the things it is keeping out. It treats all that it encounters as equal. I eventually learned the harm that such a barrier can become. I missed many wondrous things because of my fear of being hurt.

My view has finally changed. I still see my inner “rock”, but it from a totally different perspective. I am not sitting out in the middle of a desert, separate from all, safe and secure.
I am a rock sitting in the middle of a mighty river. I am surrounded by a vast profusion of other rocks. I can see the shapes and qualities of all those others around me. I feel the ebb and flow of the waters of life all as they flow by. I let the waters assist me in moving in the direction that I wish to go. Those waters not heading my way, I let pass me and take others in their own directions. I no longer need walls to protect me, just the strength of my soul.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment